What to Bring to the Big Chill Retreat 2018
The Gray Center is a lovely retreat center set in the woods near Canton, Miss. You may want to print the directions from the website. The cellular signal is weak for some mobile phone carriers so you should not rely solely on having a cellular connection for your directions and mapping.
What to bring:
- Comfortable, casual clothing
- Walking shoes (cottages are a five-minute walk from the main building)
- Writing materials, electronic or paper-based
- Art materials
- Your manuscript/portfolio
- Notes you have taken on manuscripts shared by critique partners
- Folding chair to set up outside if the weather is nice
- Any food/beverages you will want in addition to the scheduled meals provided by the Gray Center.* A beverage station in the cafeteria is available at all times and includes tea, coffee, and water. We will provide wine, beer, and water during social events on Friday and Saturday.
Snack Luck: bring snacks to share during and after supper social gatherings (especially for Beat Night)
Beat Night: bring something/anything to read on Saturday evening (limit 5 minutes)
*A note for people with special diets: If you provide us with your special requirements, we will pass them along to the Gray Center. They make provisions for vegetarians, vegans, and those who eat gluten free within their regular cafeteria-style menus. Be aware, however, that if you are a vegetarian, your option may be the salad bar. If your dietary needs are complicated, you may wish to bring some of your own food.