MANUSCRIPT CRITIQUE INFORMATION
One-on-one critique sessions last 12 minutes. We cannot reschedule a missed appointment. To ensure a successful critique, see HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR CRITIQUE TIME on the right sidebar. Written Author critiques will be distributed at the Conference.
Manuscript Critiques are for conference registrants only and are on a first-come, first-served basis. You may register only for one critique with Conference Staff listed below. However, if you are an author/ illustrator, you may submit a manuscript in addition to your portfolio critique session.
Fees for Face-to-Face Critiques are $45
Fees for Written Author Critiques are $35
Questions about submissions: contact/email Co-Regional Advisor Sarah Campbell.
REGISTRATION: You MUST register for the conference AND the critique before submitting.
DEADLINE: ALL MANUSCRIPT CRITIQUES HAVE AN EMAIL SUBMISSION DEADLINE OF MIDNIGHT, JANUARY 31, 2019. ***NO NOTICE WILL BE SENT. PLEASE MARK THE DEADLINE ON YOUR CALENDAR AND SUBMIT BY THAT TIME AND DATE.***
Portfolios, of course, are to be brought to the conference. Details on the Portfolio Critique and Showcase Information Page.
SEND TO: ALL email manuscripts are to be sent to the region at: LaMsSubmit@gmail.com
For the Subject Line: Last name critiquer. Your Last Name.First Name – Your Submission Should be sent as a single attachment.
PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK THIS LIST BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR WORK.
1) One piece of up to 10 pages. This critique is for the first ten pages of a single manuscript, NOT a section in the middle and NOT selections from multiple works. The submission should be treated as if it is a single submission to an editor at a publishing house. Be sure the manuscript is grammatically correct and polished to the best of your writing ability. If you submit more than 10 pages, those over the limit will be eliminated. The entire submission should be emailed as one document in .doc .docx or .pdf
2) Format ALL manuscripts in 12-point Times New Roman with the text double-spaced.
3) In the upper left corner of your manuscript: NAME, ADDRESS, CITY/STATE, EMAIL ADDRESS AND GENRE [YA, MG, PB, CHAPTER BOOK, NF]
4) The name on your manuscript must match the name you registered under even if you write under a pseudonym.
5) For ALL Picture Books (fiction and nonfiction) and Poetry: Submit only the first TEN (10) pages of your manuscript, or a complete manuscript for a single picture book. No synopsis is needed. Do NOT include Back Matter.
6) For ALL Middle Grade, Young Adult, and Chapter Books (fiction and nonfiction): Submit only the first TEN (10) pages, even if it cuts off mid-chapter, plus a ONE-page synopsis. You MUST include the synopsis or we cannot accept your submission.
7) Include a cover letter (no longer than a half page text) addressed to your critiquer. The cover letter and synopsis are in addition to the 10 pages.
8) Illustrators submitting a picture book manuscript may NOT include illustrations, but are permitted to bring a completed dummy to the in-person critique during the conference. They are encouraged to mention a dummy is available for review in the cover letter.
One manuscript for face-to-face consultations. Illustrators can have one manuscript critique in addition to portfolio critique. The written consultations from Freddi Evans, Leslie Staub, Caroline Starr Rose, Crystal Allen and Sarah Campbell can be in addition to any of the consultations.